Monday 10 September 2012

So, after a busy summer holiday, balanced between baking and looking after the two kids, it's back to reality this week and some peace and quiet!

My diary is pretty booked up for the next few weeks.  I have some exciting projects to work on and some more challenging cakes to really get my teeth into!

This week, I have been asked to create a cake for the Mayflower Theatre in Southampton.  This is the second time that they have asked me to make an occasion cake for them, so I am pretty excited!

It's not a particularly difficult cake, but this one does require a bit of planning.  They would like the top of the cake to look like the front of the theatre.  So, I've had to do a bit of "Blue Peter" planning and use some baking paper, ruler and pencil to create a template, so I know just how large to cut the windows and doors.

I am also starting work on some flowers and sugar shoes for next week's cakes.  More about that later....

But, the big and exciting cake for next week is the 3D Yoda Cake.  I've been aching to make a cake like this for some time.  It's really lovely when I'm asked to do something different from the run of the mill other cakes I get asked for.

This one is going to require some rice-krispie mallow mix too!  So, I will be moulding, icing and sculpting Yoda's head ready for next week.  Pictures to follow!


In the meantime, above are a couple of pictures of last week's cakes......  The top of is a cake I made for one of my existing customers, and the second, was for a company on the local industrial estate.  I had a last minute call from a very lovely lady who needed the cake within a couple of days.  The company deals with number plate recognition technology, which is why I made the little car to go n the board.  There were two companies merging together to make "3M" and so the cake was a celebration of their collaboration.  They were really pleased!

No comments: