Tuesday 11 September 2012

Copy Cakes

I've been quite busy in my kitchen today, baking cakes ready for the end of the week.  I've also baked some chocolate baileys cupcakes for my neighbour and lamp work extraordinaire at Blue Fairy Designs.  Heavily pregnant at the moment, I'm not really sure that she should be scoffing down too many of these alcohol heavy cupcakes, but I guess a couple or three won't hurt!

Whilst busying myself about these cakes it got me thinking about the issues of "copying" other people's cakes.  Now, it seems to me that this is somewhat of a "bone of contention" between different cake makers.

Some people get incredibly annoyed when their designs are taken and copied, or changed slightly.   I know of an occurance with a cake maker within my area, who sent a very snotty email because her cake had been "copied".  There was no reference on the photo as to where it had originated from and so this makes it very difficult for cake makers, when customers turn up with a photo, to locate the source of the cake design. 

In the instance of the email from the fed up cake maker, I understand that she is now giving sugarcraft lessons.  What I find hard to get my head around is the fact that she complained about her cakes being copied and yet she is now freely giving these ideas and techniques away in lessons!  Albeit that the customers are paying for this knowledge, but this doesn't stop them being copied and sold on by her pupils!

My thoughts on it are pretty clear and I have never waived from these since I  began my business a few years ago.  If I want to try to limit others copying my designs then I should watermark my photos in the vain hope that any potential copiers would contact me before they made the same cake  Just because I watermark does not mean that I can copyright that idea/technique or theme.  All I have done is said that this is my picture, of my cake.  After all, I can't copyright "Glee" or "Thomas the Tank Engine" because it's already been Copyrighted!  (Please correct me if I'm wrong on this!)

I do not have a problem with people copying my cakes.....it's quite flattering actually.  However, I WOULD have a problem if someone stole my own photo and used it on their website.  Although, saying that, if they felt they were capable of creating the cake to my standard and exactly the same, then be it on their own head to achieve this.

Although I thoroughly enjoy my work, I do feel that there is a very high degree of competitiveness within this industry.  There's no harm in a bit of friendly banter, but when it becomes vicious and cruel, that's when I don't like it much  Cakes should be celebrated as they make up a happy part of our lives and are used to mark and celebrate special people within our lives.

No matter how good or bad you are at cake baking and decorating, whether professional or amateur , your children and family always appreciate your efforts when baking and presenting a cake.

Happy Baking x

No comments: