Tuesday 9 September 2008

Why does Wish Cakes not have a Shop?

Can I come to your Shop? This is a question asked by many of my customers. The answer to which is, I don't have a shop, I am home based.

Some customers seem confused when I reply with this answer. Let me explain why I don't have a shop.... It's simple, the first reason being that I can't afford to lease a shop as I do not make enough profit. Secondly, I feel that if I were to move into business premises my whole business ethos of providing a intimate and personal service would be lost. If you look at many of the cake businesses running throughout the South, they don't offer the extensive range cakes (especially 3D) which I provide. Indeed, if they do, then the cost to the customer is higher.

Running my business from home means that my overheads are lower, therefore my prices are lower and I feel that I can give my customers the one to one commitment for their order.

I do not employ anyone either. This too is simply because Wish Cakes is "me". Cake decorating can be likened to art, Da Vinci paintings are different to Dahli, so my cakes are different to others. I am not, of course, saying that mine are better than anyone elses, I am merely stating that our styles would be different.

Even though I work from home I still have to be checked by Environmental Health, so there are food safety issues in place to ensure that my working environment is clean and tidy. (Believe me, I would not eat from a dirty kitchen myself, so it is definitely clean!)

I will continue to run my business from home for as long as I can. I feel that there is no reason for me to expand at the moment!

No comments: